BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 28, 2009

1: Music.

Music is, as with many other people, one of the driving forces in my life. I've always been fascinated by it, since I was young. Dancing, singing, enjoying the sounds.

I don't think music really began to take over my life, however, until my dad bought me my first CD: Spice by the Spice Girls.

Yes, that's right. Spice was the first album I ever owned. I was six years old, and the Spice Girls were at the top of the charts. I had no idea who they were when he bought me the CD; I didn't know they were world-famous, I didn't even really grasp the concept of bands and radio.

All I knew was that I really, really liked what I was hearing. Somewhere along the line of being obsessed with this album, I realized that everyone else was listening to it, too. I spent a lot of time trying to speak in a British accent with my best friend on the swings at recess, thinking I must be the coolest person alive.

I've since moved on from the Spice Girls. I think most people have. A lot of things have changed for me over the years and shaped the kinds of music I listen to.

For a long time, I listened to a lot of different musicians without any real fixation or obsession. Eventually, I moved away from mainstream music, but I would still stick with one album or genre for a while then drop it after a couple months. I never really cared too much about the people behind the music.

Then came Panic! At the Disco.

I was actually a bit late in listening to them, in comparison to the rest of the world. By the time they hit the charts, I hadn't been listening to the radio for at least three years. A couple of my friends talked about them from time to time, but I didn't really bother to check out the music. Then my good friend Rachel told me about their stage show and I knew I would have to get in on some of that action.

I'll make a post detailing my obsession and experiences related to Panic! another time. It's a long, long story.

Panic! eventually lead me to another band. They were touring with a band at the time called The Dresden Dolls. I'd never heard of them. They made a video together where they tried to kill each other, and I thought it was hilarious. It was set to the Dolls' song "Backstabber". I liked the song enough and decided to check out their latest album, Yes, Virginia....


The Dolls are yet another thing that warrant their own separate post.

Another way music consumed my life is through instruments. When I was seven years old, I started taking piano lessons so I could play my great grandmother's piano, which I had inherited. I attempted to learn guitar and failed. Earlier this year, I took up playing the ukulele (there's another thing to post about).

I think I'd have to say that, in short, music has changed my life in so many ways. I don't know if it works like that for most people. Sure, people can be emotionally moved by music, or it can make them dance. But it gave me that and more: connections, friends, experiences. There are a lot of things that would never have happened to me if it weren't for music.

0 comments: